Whenever you come into contact with Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner  you have the right to expect a professional service that meets your needs. When things don’t go well, it is important to us that we learn and improve.

Should the level of service fall below expectations you have the right to complain about:

If you wish to make a complaint against the Police and Crime Commissioner you must do so in writing*. Please address your complaint to:

Chief Executive
Office of Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner
The West Wing, Force HQ
Wootton Hall

* If you have difficulty putting your concerns in writing, call us (01604 888113) and we will record the details for you, and check back with you that the statement is correct.

To date, two complaints have been received against the Northamptonshire Police Crime Commissioner and dealt with in accordance with the Elected Local Policing Bodies (Complaints and Misconduct) Regulations 2012 and the Panel’s Complaint Procedure.  One complaint has been withdrawn and the second complaint has been deferred to be heard at a later date by the Complaints Sub Committee.  Information relating to these complaints can be found on the Panel’s Complaints Sub-Committee website.

Further details of complaints and the work of Police and Crime Panel Complaints Sub Committee can be found here

If you wish to make a complaint against a member of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, you should again first raise your concerns with the Chief Executive, who is the Monitoring Officer.

If your complaint is against the Chief Executive, you may write in confidence directly to the Police and Crime Commissioner at the same address above.

The Office of Northamptonshire Police and Crime Comissioner must publish the number of complaints or conduct matters that have been brought to the attention of the Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner by the Northamptonshire Police and Crime Panel (either because they have been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission, or because they are being subjected to informal resolution by the Panel).

Further information can be found here.

Making a complaint about Northamptonshire Police

Complaints against Northamptonshire Constabulary are handled in two ways and by different organisations depending on the seniority of the officers concerned.

Complaints against the Chief Constable

The Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner  has a statutory duty to consider complaints against the most senior police officer of the Constabulary, the Chief Constable.

If you wish to make a complaint against the Chief Constable please write to The Police and Crime Commissioner at the address above. Please note that Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner  cannot deal with complaints made anonymously. Click here to read the policy in full.

Complaints against other members of Northamptonshire Police Force

The Constabulary’s Professional Standards Department (PSD) is responsible for handling all complaints against officers below Chief Constable rank, other police staff as well as general complaints regarding the provision of the policing service in Northamptonshire.

In the first instance, we would recommend that you take up any issue with the officer/member of staff concerned and/or their line manager. Often this is the most straightforward way of resolving issues.

If this is not possible or appropriate and you wish to make a complaint against Northamptonshire Constabulary, you can do this by emailing, or by writing to:

Northamptonshire Constabulary
Professional Standards Department
Northamptonshire Police
Wootton Hall
NN4 0JQ,

The Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner monitors the handling of complaints against the Constabulary. However, please note that concerns on specific individual complaints should be directed to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC)

What to do if you are not satisfied following a complaint

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive following complaint or you wish to seek guidance or appeal against a formal decision regarding the handling or investigation, you may contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) which oversees the police complaints system and sets the standards by which complaints should be handled.

Further details of what you can complain about, together with guidance on how to make a complaint and the appropriate forms, can be found on their website.