We believe that the Criminal Justice System should be service-orientated, keeping victims of crime at the centre of all that it does.
Victims and witnesses of crime, anti-social behaviour and road traffic collisions deserve the very best treatment, service and outcomes possible to help them cope, recover and thrive.
Our areas of focus:
Improving services to victims of crime, by:
- building on the existing victims services in the county;
- engaging victims and witnesses to shape the services that are provided for them;
- working with partners to ensure specialist services are provided for the most vulnerable (for example domestic or sexual abuse) or those who have experienced severe trauma;
- ensuring that the Victims Code of Practice is built into how the police operate from the first point of contact onwards; and
- ensuring every victim gets the opportunity to take part in a restorative justice approach.
Ensuring safe and swift justice, through:
- working with criminal justice system partners to ensure that victims receive the best possible service and that fair trials are held as swiftly as possible; and
- working with partners to rehabilitate offenders to reduce re-offending.